Saturday, June 12, 2010

China Day 4: "A Day of Rest...or so we thought!"

Today we had a day off to rest and hang out and walk around. Diane set it up to meet Susan at our hotel. Susan works with Asia. Asia is the adoption agency that both the Sundvall's and the O'brien's used for their adoptions. Michael was one of the founders of Asia. Susan was a huge part of their adoption process here in China. I had heard so many things about Ms. Susan and the love they had for her and was very excited to be able to finally meet her and her adopted daughter. We met down in the lobby at noon. In came Susan and Ying Ying! It was a great reunion for everyone and it was easy to see by Susan's smile why everyone loved her so much! She is bright, bubbly, outgoing, big hearted, and lights up a room. Her sweet daughter ying ying was the opposite of her mama. More reserved and shy and unsure of the loud Americans. Susan and her girls..Ying Ying, Sophie, Sky, and Jing

Ying Ying brought presents for all the girls...

So sweet (she even tried to match them to their outfits).

We took Ms. Susan across the street to our favorite dumpling place and just hung out. The girls brought all their art and shared with Ying Ying and she really started to warm up to us and even grabbed my hand to walk. Even though I had only known Susan for 20 minutes I was already part of her family, such an amazing woman. While we were at lunch Ms. Susan said, "From bottom of my heart I would love you to come to my apartment...See where I live!" How in the world could you ever say no...to see a real home was such a blessing so we went back to the hotel called a driver and we were off. No day of rest for the weary but I would never want it any other way. It was a 40 minute ride but so worth it. I really want you to feel the real life in China so here are a few pictures I took on the way. The nicer apartment complex

The streets of Beijing


We got to Ms. Susan's home. It was a very nice upper middle class apartment. There are six buildings with a gate and a courtyard. She was very proud of their home and it was such a blessing to go inside. Ying Ying was very excited to get every toy out for her new friends.

Laundry in the courtyard...No HOA here

Ms. Susan's home on the 4th floor - her scooter on the right :)

Their bathroom

Her hallway with the smallest washing machine

I have ever seen...I would never get through our

laundry...let alone baseball uniforms!


Her Kitchen

Her office where familes are connected with China...

Magic happens here! Little does Susan know that she

is doing God's work!


Susan's wedding picture...stunning

Then it was off to dinner but not before causing a ruckus in the courtyard...I don't think many American's come through.
Very Curious
New Friends....Sky and Ying Ying


Ms. Susan had a surprise for us on the way to dinner. She took us to get massages by blind masseurs, even for the girls. WOW!! She refused to let us pay! How sweet is she...It was amazing! The best massage I have ever had and I have had quite a few. I had a shoulder, neck, and head. It was like melting butter...What a gift the blind masseurs have in touch and they were so kind. I had a 30 minute massage for $5 US dollars...not a typo $5. We were a sight to behold and it was awesome. If your ever in Beijing let me know :) AMAZING!!

Here come the American's

Laura and Diane were like jelly!

Then we were off to a fun dinner at a very busy restaurant that is very popular in the local area. We had a semi-private room and shared it with another family. I will have to say my favorite part of dinner was the family next to us. They had two children that were cousins. We said Hi in chinese and the mother said no in English. The mother spoke beautiful english and here children were very good as well. They had so much chatting with us and the feeling was mutual. We found out that it was the mothers birthday and they were celebrating. She was STUNNING! Dinner! We only waited 5 minutes to be seated and it

reminded me of Texas Roadhouse where you eat and shell

peanuts on the floor but in China...Sunflower seeds on steroids!


Me and Nico

Beautiful Mama and Daughter

True Beauty of China

Sadly, we were back to the hotel...not rested...but filled with memories from a beautiful day. THANK YOU SUSAN!!!


Photobucket

No comments: